Hello!! I’m a machine I’ve come to realize. I only have a one track mind when I have a project going on and I don’t stop until it’s done. Not a bad thing for productivity but maybe a little crazy. I’m fine with that. Aren’t all artists a little crazy?
Ok my desk:
I got these legs from Ikea- $10 a piece.
I then went to home depot and purchased a 4′ by 8′ pine plywood with a 3/4″ thickness and oh my my I got a lot out of it.
I have a ton of scrap wood that I have big plans for in the near future but lets not get ahead of ourselves.
1. I got a 30″ x 50″ cut for my desk.
2. I sanded down the edges.
3. I used this polyshade tint and poly in one. Loved the idea, the stain sucked.
4. As you can see, the original stain and poly was less then to be desired so I went back to the local hardware store and got some “dark walnut” stain.
5. You see the difference?
6. I used a sponge brush and created different strokes to create a more rustic look.
Believe it or not, I attached the legs to the table top with velcro. I know! Well, I was in Ikea and I was asking one of the employees there how to attach the legs and she said that there are non-slip tabs on top of the legs but most people use double stick tape or velcro and I happened to have velcro so I did it. We’ll see how that holds up. When I made the desk for my last client, I went to the hardware store and somehow found some flexible brackets to mold around the frame but it still wasn’t super sturdy. Trial and error, I’m all about it.
I was quite eager to get my corner all straightened up so I can sit and start work in a fully functional space. I went to the thrift store and picked up 4 frames (one of those is going to be used for another project) and a book (for my book page wall-coming soon) for $14. What a score.
I removed all the pictures/art and glass. I always feel bad when I go to the store and get second hand frames and there are family pictures and diplomas in there. I should start a scrapbook of it…. No wait, that’s a bad idea.
Check out #3. That is the front of the frame, but you will see I like the back a lot better.
I then painted everything the same color that I mixed for my dresser.
Then I sanded the corners to look shabbier and I sprayed this Krylon product which I have been using for all my painted furniture/crafts lately. The lady at the store told me this one in particular is good for having a mix of media- different kinds of paint (indoor, outdoor, etc.)
I then used some scrap fabric and stapled them to the back of the frame.
This is a closer view. I love the way the wooden frame came out. I really did nothing except use the backside but it was so much more appealing than the front. I stapled organic linen to the back and then used double stick tape to adhere my business license that I am oh so proud of.
And lets not forget about my lovely birdcage!! Now, it actually stands out on my desk. I used a dry brush technique to get the vintage look and I love it. Buddha is super happy not just because he gets a fly feather headband to wear but because he has a cool neighbor now too.
Still a few more things to do. For instance:
I want to get this rolling cart or something similar for all my crafts and I’m sure I will find something else to add to this corner but I’m excited about my awesome desk!