Happy Sunday evening folks. It was such a beautiful weekend. I got to spend some time in San Francisco and Sausalito. I love being able to get out of my beautiful, cozy beach town of Santa Cruz and get inspiration close by.
These evening I wanted to continue with my Apartment Living guide with bedrooms. Last week I talked about outdoors and entrances so I thought I would continue indoors with the bedrooms.
1. Headboards are essential for bedrooms because they are not only ideal support when you are sleeping but they can really be a piece of art. Check out all these DIY headboards that you can have fun with. Make sure your bed rests on a solid wall meaning not a plumbing wall and no large windows. Remember you want the most support while you sleep.
2. Make sure that your bed is centered on a wall. No smooshing the bed in a corner. If you are looking for a romantic partner this is even more important because you want to already create the space for this person in your life. Nightstands can be really fun. There is nothing more boring to me in a bedroom then a matching set of nightstands, dresser and headboard. Have fun with it! Mix and match! Go to a thrift store and paint up a table. Whatever! Just make it your own.
3. I don’t know why, but people do not understand the concept of placing a rug on top of carpet. Here’s the deal: If your carpet is ugly, then why not try and cover it up with a cool rug. Even if it’s not ugly, it creates layers and we all know that I LOVE layers!
4. Duvets and bed covers can make or break a room. Some people like to keep their bedrooms as simple and neutral as possible. If that is you, then you might enjoy a duvet with some texture like this one:
If you like bolder pieces, then you might enjoy a duvet like this one:
5. Some other Feng Shui and general design tips for bedrooms:
- make sure to remove clutter especially underneath your bed. We all know this is a great hiding spot. But who are you really hiding it from? If you must use space under your bed, make sure it is organized and easy to get to.
-make sure your bed is not in a direct line from the door. The energy is too active in the door pathway. Remember we want restful sleep.
- This is a big one: Keep your desk and work outside of your room. Whatever it takes. I promise you, this will make a worlds difference. Your bedroom is for sleep, intimacy and nourishment. There is nothing romantic and soothing about having your work piled up next to you.
- On that same note, keep electronics away from your head. You know that phone that you keep under your pillow or that laptop you something fall asleep watching shows to. This are major disturbances to sleep patterns because of the electric magnetic field.
This should do it for ya! Don’t get overwhelmed if you feel like you got it all “wrong.” Take your time. One step at a time and just notice how these changes effect your health and overall life.